26 February 2007

Welsh Adventure

This is my first blog here, since Nelly added me as a contributor - yes I am the DH (as I am known to all scrapbooking enthusiasts apparently) - so I'll begin by saying a big HELLO to all our readers across the world.

So Janelle packed me a few bags, explained which bottles were for lunch and which for dinner, and probably a few other instructions as well, and sent me on my merry way to Wales with Micah and Noah.

Both boys fell asleep initially and I thought I would get a good run before they woke, however I needed to stop for petrol (gas) and Micah woke in a foul mood. So I had to lift him out of the car and try filling the car up whilst holding him - not too bad. I got him a packet of his favourite (chocolate stars) to cheer him up a bit.

Back in the car we got underway. Half way down the M5, I began to think of the day ahead, wondering what I would need, and hoping Janelle had packed everything. It was then that I asked myself why I hadn't listened more carefully to the long list of instructions. Typical husband I know, so when I next stopped at Junction 8 services (to look up an atlas to check directions - I refuse to get a SatNav) I messaged janelle just to check the instructions on food.

A little further on I pulled off the M50 into the market town of Newent, as I knew there was a christian bookstore there. I got both boys out - Micah was in a better mood by now, and enjoyed the freedom. Noah had woken too. I quickly found a suitable book to give to my cousin Owain and paid. Then decided to go for a walk along a lake just to give Micah some more free time before it was back into the car. The path was a bit muddy in places but not too bad. Didn't think that Micah would want to run through the muddiest parts, so his shoes and the bottom of his jeans were plastered. We turned back fairly quickly and I endeavoured to clean him up somewhat.

It was by now 1.30, and it never crossed my mind to give them lunch. I gave them a biscuit each as we got back on the road and Micah also had half a banana.

The boys were fine the rest of the journey and we got to the environs of Abertillery at around 2.30. Stopped at Asda to buy a sandwich for Micah and myself. There wasn't anything really child friendly, so Micah didn't eat much at all. Noah scoffed down his food and we got moving again just after 3.

Both boys fell asleep as we headed down the valley to the church in Risca where the baptism was going to be held, and Noah slept through half the service which was great.Micah woke but was super. He played with his cars but then found the pews more interesting, climbing over and sliding under. He was completely taken up with the big splash, when Owain was actually getting baptised, and afterward found a room full of toys. It had 3 rocking horses in it so he was in heaven. He didn't even want to come out for a biscuit!!! I took some sausages and a sandwich to him and set it on a seat. Later I went in and he had moved the food to a small high chair he had found and was himself sitting in it.

Noah on the otherhand was passed around all the women there, and some men too, and enjoyed all the attention. I was complimented on my bravery in bringing 2 young children on my own, so I enjoyed the attention too.

Later we went back to my cousin's place, and watch the second half of the Ireland v England rugby game. Ireland were superb and whipped England good and proper 43 to 13, so I was in a great mood. Before we left we saw the start of the Wales v France game, so Micah came away cheering for Wales, saying 'Wales, win game'. Sadly they didn't and so France are top of the championship table and Ireland have to settle for second place for now, but there's still 2 games to go, so we hope.

The bell has rung, so I'll go now. The way home was without incident and both boys slept through most of it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes you are very brave. I'm very impressed with your bravery to take the two boys on your own. I'm excited to hear about Janelle's weekend with Shannon.

Anonymous said...

Well done Andy!
You should have a certificate!!!
Jem
xxx